KITCHEN PIPES
I purchased a set of kitchen pipes the other day. Here is a Picture of the Kitchen Pipes. Shannon, one of the pipers I met at PHSD had a set and they were fun, easy to play and quiet enough so that I could play in the hotel room.
The disadvantages of these pipes is that they are plastic (the bag is leather), they don't sound as good as wooden pipes and they really have to warm up before you can tune them.
The advantages are, you can play them anywhere without ear plugs. They use a highland bagpipe chanter so fingerings are the same. They replicate the breathing process of the Highland bagpipe but need much less air.
So far, I have found that the best way to use them is to practice on my full-size pipes until I loose my wind or my lips go numb and then switch to the kitchen pipes. Because the chanter on the kitchen pipes is thinner than on the highland pipes, I can play it much faster.
All-in-all, Kitchen pipes are a good choice to supplement the real instrument because of their virsatility. I suspect my teacher is worried about my picking up bad habits on them and I will supplement this entry if I find myself falling into any bad habits.
The disadvantages of these pipes is that they are plastic (the bag is leather), they don't sound as good as wooden pipes and they really have to warm up before you can tune them.
The advantages are, you can play them anywhere without ear plugs. They use a highland bagpipe chanter so fingerings are the same. They replicate the breathing process of the Highland bagpipe but need much less air.
So far, I have found that the best way to use them is to practice on my full-size pipes until I loose my wind or my lips go numb and then switch to the kitchen pipes. Because the chanter on the kitchen pipes is thinner than on the highland pipes, I can play it much faster.
All-in-all, Kitchen pipes are a good choice to supplement the real instrument because of their virsatility. I suspect my teacher is worried about my picking up bad habits on them and I will supplement this entry if I find myself falling into any bad habits.

3 Comments:
Plumbing can be really strenuous but then with all the right tools and knowledge it can be done in a jiff.
This is an interesting article. Im not sure how I ended up on a plumbing article, but it was interesting to read.
Interesting article. Plumbing is a very important aspect in all phases of housekeeping.
Post a Comment
<< Home