Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Bagpipe Lesson #20

I just had what I am estimating is BP lesson #20. I have been going for about a year, twice a month, minus a month or so the Jori either was in Scotland or Christmas interferred.

I learned something I think is very interesting today. I am playing some faster jigs now and I am noticing that I am getting breathless and that the bag requires more air. Here is what I learned and it is very important: A bagpipe requires no more air to play a fast tune, than it does to play a slow tune. Rather, students find themselves breathless because they are concentrating on playing a more difficult tune, and their breathing goes to hell in a handbasket. I am simply forgetting to breath properly because I am being challanged in other ways that are taking my concentration.

I also learned that I am continuing to make crossing noises on most of my jigs. I must learn to raise the fingers on the low hand before putting down the fingers on the high hand, and visa versa.

The most important thing for me to remember at the moment is this: SLOW DOWN AND PLAY THE TUNE PERFECTLY. IF YOU ARE NOT PLAYING IT PERFECTLY THAN YOU ARE PLAYING TOO FAST.

Bagpipe camp starts Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home