Smallpipe Progress Report
I've tried a couple of different approches since I got my smallpipes. My instructor told me to try to play tunes with the drones closed. My instructor is usually right, but I decided to try something different, based on the theory that you can't do two things at once (blow the bag and play the chanter) unless you can do each of those things individually. I'm worried that if I start with drones closed I will devlop bad breathing habits. (Now, I totally understand why this approach is necessary for the GHPs, out of physical necessity. But I have more than adequate lung capacity to blow the smallpipes.)
To that end, I opened all the drones (and tuned them correctly -- it turns out my instructor and I had the convertible D/E drone in the wrong position), turned on my electronic tuner, and tried to blow a consistent A note for, at first, four minutes, and work my way up to 20 minutes. Last night, I got up to 20 minutes for the first time. Now, I'm going to stick with 20 minute intervals, and work on my consistency. (I tend to be a little sharp when blowing and a little flat when squeezing). The hardest part thus far has been dealing with what I call a "spit crisis", when I must stop blowing, move the blowstock in my mouth, swallow excess saliva, then bring the bag back to the desired fullness, all without changing pitch. (Makes me wonder whether bellows blown smallpipes might be a good idea. That or a drool cup.) Sometimes afterward, I'll pick up my practice chanter and play a tune or two, just to make sure I'm not losing that skill. Surprisingly, I'm playing my chanter better than ever.
Another week of this, and I may be ready to start playing the bagpipes.
To that end, I opened all the drones (and tuned them correctly -- it turns out my instructor and I had the convertible D/E drone in the wrong position), turned on my electronic tuner, and tried to blow a consistent A note for, at first, four minutes, and work my way up to 20 minutes. Last night, I got up to 20 minutes for the first time. Now, I'm going to stick with 20 minute intervals, and work on my consistency. (I tend to be a little sharp when blowing and a little flat when squeezing). The hardest part thus far has been dealing with what I call a "spit crisis", when I must stop blowing, move the blowstock in my mouth, swallow excess saliva, then bring the bag back to the desired fullness, all without changing pitch. (Makes me wonder whether bellows blown smallpipes might be a good idea. That or a drool cup.) Sometimes afterward, I'll pick up my practice chanter and play a tune or two, just to make sure I'm not losing that skill. Surprisingly, I'm playing my chanter better than ever.
Another week of this, and I may be ready to start playing the bagpipes.

1 Comments:
Sounds like progress is being made. Good work. When I need to swallow or adjust the mouthpiece while playing the GHBs, I squeeze a little harder with my elbow. This allows me to play longer without blowing and I can make my adjustment. This does have to be done carefully or the pitch will change. The really good players don't seem to change the pressure they apply with their elbows at any time, but I am assuming that as I get better at playing, I will also get better at dealing with spittle :)
Post a Comment
<< Home