Tuesday, October 12, 2004

WHAT I LEARNED FROM MY FIRST GIG

I must play with consistent pressure on the bag. Seeing the video of my gig, I noticed that there were allot of warbles and sags in notes as the bag inflated and deflated while playing.

Several months ago, Jori showed me how to make a manometer that could plug into a drone so pipers could read the pressure coming out of the pipe. The device consists of a $40 pressure gauage connected to surgical tubing that is in turn, connected to a a rubber plug on one end (the plug has a hole in it). By inserting the rubber plug into one of the pipe drones, pressure is forced through the surgical tubing and into the pressure gauage. A piper can then read the gauage to see what kind of force they are pushing out the drones and whether or not the pressure is consistent.

When I tried it, the needle bounced back and forth from 20 psi to 40 psi. I had to struggle to try to keep the pressure consistent and even at my best moments the needle bounced around wildly. Jori, took up my pipes and was able to play a pretty complex piece while keeping the needle perfectly still at 50 psi or so.

I need to get out my manometer and practice consistent pressure so I can get rid of those warbles and sags.

2 Comments:

Blogger VMM said...

Is it the case that one can't tell from varying pitch in the drones if air pressure is inconsistent?

11:06 AM  
Blogger Viceroy De Los Osos said...

In my case, I can't hear the change in tone as well when I am playing (especially with earplugs in). For instance, my changes in tone only became clear after I saw the video of my playing and heard my own pipes. Once I listened to it, I could hear the changes in tone.

The Manometer is a great tool, because it provides precise feedback while playing. As I see the needle on to pressure gauage rise and fall, I can concentrate on keeping the needle steady.

Jori has often encouraged me to record my practices and listen to them. I can see now why he made this suggestion and why I should stop ignoring it.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home