So far, so good. They are not terribly loud. You can hold a conversation over them, if need be, without raising your voice too much. In the past year, my neighbors have been nothing but supportive of my efforts. The woman next door, whose father used to pipe, has been very encouraging, and the downstairs neighbors are the coolest you can imagine. I had to make them swear they would let me know if the pipes were bothering them. So, except for late at night, I don't think I'll have to restrain myself. By the time I get up there, I hope I can favor you with a tune, and you can try them, yourself!
I have only played mostly the A chanter so far, but I've got to hand it to this Walsh guy: the conversion only takes about 10 seconds to change to D, and leaves no reeds exposed. My instructor/dealer, Lynne, tells me there's practically no reason to ever see the reeds.
Oh, Lynne showed me his new invention today: a blowpipe segment (his sample was for David Naill pipes) with a large analog pressure guage attached, tilted just slightly for easier viewing by the piper, so that you can play normally and monitor your air pressure. He's selling some now to his local customers (pretty much at cost -- kind of a beta test) so that he can fine tune them for general sale later. It's one of those things that is hard to believe hasn't been produced, yet.
Hmm, sounds similar to something Jori told me about. i built one from a pressure gauage that plugs into one of the 3 drones. Mine is attached to a long length of surgical tubing so that i can see the gauage while I am playing. Jori is producing a batch and sent me a pdf with instructions. i will send it to you. See if it looks likt the same thing your instructor showed you.
6 Comments:
Hurrah! Great. It must feel pretty good to actually be playing the instrument you intend to learn. The chanter can get pretty boring.
How are the neighbors holding up? Or is that an issue with small pipes?
So far, so good. They are not terribly loud. You can hold a conversation over them, if need be, without raising your voice too much. In the past year, my neighbors have been nothing but supportive of my efforts. The woman next door, whose father used to pipe, has been very encouraging, and the downstairs neighbors are the coolest you can imagine. I had to make them swear they would let me know if the pipes were bothering them. So, except for late at night, I don't think I'll have to restrain myself. By the time I get up there, I hope I can favor you with a tune, and you can try them, yourself!
I have only played mostly the A chanter so far, but I've got to hand it to this Walsh guy: the conversion only takes about 10 seconds to change to D, and leaves no reeds exposed. My instructor/dealer, Lynne, tells me there's practically no reason to ever see the reeds.
Oh, Lynne showed me his new invention today: a blowpipe segment (his sample was for David Naill pipes) with a large analog pressure guage attached, tilted just slightly for easier viewing by the piper, so that you can play normally and monitor your air pressure. He's selling some now to his local customers (pretty much at cost -- kind of a beta test) so that he can fine tune them for general sale later. It's one of those things that is hard to believe hasn't been produced, yet.
Hmm, sounds similar to something Jori told me about. i built one from a pressure gauage that plugs into one of the 3 drones. Mine is attached to a long length of surgical tubing so that i can see the gauage while I am playing. Jori is producing a batch and sent me a pdf with instructions. i will send it to you. See if it looks likt the same thing your instructor showed you.
I look forward to your first .MP3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l5HP943dpU Thought you might be interested
Post a Comment
<< Home