The Keith Highlanders
Last week, my family all went to see the Keith Highlanders perform in Kirkland outside of Seattle. Each year the keith Highlanders hold a Fall concert consisting of bagpipe music, Celtic music and dancing. Jori, a mentor/coach for the band also played 2 sets. It was a very nice evening and thanks in part to great seats, I learned allot.
The biggest thing I took away from this concert pertains to my breathing while playing the pipes. Jori blows allot more than I do when he plays. Instead of filling the bag and pushing the air out the drones, he is regularly topping off the air in the bag and doesn't have to use his elbow so much to force the air out. This is probably why he sounds so smooth and I have so many warbles. I will try to blow more and use my arm less, and see if that helps my music.
I have asked Jori about joing a band as part of my progress. He has often suggested that the Keith Highlanders might be a good band to join because they work hard at trying to get better. I was very impressed with the band and the pipe major and I would very much like to someday audition for them; however, I have many reservations. First, they play and practice 2 1/2 hours and a ferry ride away. Second, they take piping very seriously. Lastly, at my current weight, I really can't expect that they can provide me with shirts and a kilt. If I want to play seriously in a band, I must be willing to make a complete comittment to the band and I must lose at least 100 pounds. So, joing any band is a distant dream at this point but I will continue to learn standard tunes in the hopes that someday I can use them in a band setting.
The biggest thing I took away from this concert pertains to my breathing while playing the pipes. Jori blows allot more than I do when he plays. Instead of filling the bag and pushing the air out the drones, he is regularly topping off the air in the bag and doesn't have to use his elbow so much to force the air out. This is probably why he sounds so smooth and I have so many warbles. I will try to blow more and use my arm less, and see if that helps my music.
I have asked Jori about joing a band as part of my progress. He has often suggested that the Keith Highlanders might be a good band to join because they work hard at trying to get better. I was very impressed with the band and the pipe major and I would very much like to someday audition for them; however, I have many reservations. First, they play and practice 2 1/2 hours and a ferry ride away. Second, they take piping very seriously. Lastly, at my current weight, I really can't expect that they can provide me with shirts and a kilt. If I want to play seriously in a band, I must be willing to make a complete comittment to the band and I must lose at least 100 pounds. So, joing any band is a distant dream at this point but I will continue to learn standard tunes in the hopes that someday I can use them in a band setting.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home