Monday, July 19, 2004

BAGPIPE LESSON #21

I had a pretty good lesson today. I was feeling pretty schizophrenic after the Piping Camp so Jori and I spent most of the hour sorting out where I am, where I want to go and how to get there. We decided a couple of major things: First, I will start to study bagpipes with an eye to taking the second College of Piping certification exam next summer. I don't yet know quite what the requirements are, but I kind of enjoy taking tests and this will give me more reasons to learn new tunes and really get my music theory down solid. I will write more about the College of Piping certifications in another blog. Second, we decided that I should learn some common tunes so that I can play along with more tunes at the next Massed band. I will start learning "Scotland the Brave" and "The Rowan Tree" immediately. I have already started "Scotland the Brave" so I will try to have them basically down for my lesson in 2 weeks.

I played my 3 jigs for Yoda and they are still in poor shape with lots of crossing noises and choppy tempo. I mentioned that I had been taking my pipes to Ediz hook and pretty much only playing the tunes I know well. Yoda told me that "You are a shiny thing polisher”, meaning I am playing only the tunes I play well. He also told me that playing on the spit might be fun, but it is a performance, not practice. He suggested I put away my chanter and play my pipes in the house, playing the stuff I find hard and unpolished.

I have resolved to listen to Yoda and only go to the spit once and a while. For my next lesson I will:

Practice "Scotland the Brave"
Practice "The Rowan Tree"
Practice some Grip exercises he gave me
Work on the jigs if time allows
Do Jack Lee's exercises every day
Maybe go to the Spit on Saturday only and only if I practice at home first

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home