Hardie Bagpipes Goes Under
Hardie Bagpipes, popular makers of GHBs is facing liquidation after some hard years.
Being relatively new to piping and piping history I don't have all the facts, but my suspicion is that Hardie once filled a niche in the market that has either dissolved or been overcome by modern pipe manufacturers and new techniques.
Hardie made pipes for the British Military. Perhaps the military no longer needs allot of good, but not great pipes. I fact, it may be that the Military has almost dried up completely as a market for pipes, The Black Watch being disbanded and all).
My teacher once told me that up until 15 years ago it was relatively difficult to find a really good sounding set of pipes. In fact, the best way was to find a good set of well cared for, pre-World War pipes, Henderson being the brand most sought after. I suspect that Hardie made a good set of pipes, and one of the few alternatives to Hendersons when it opened in the 50's. Now there are several good alternatives and Hardie just couldn't hold onto its market. As a personal example, I like the Hardie company, but I bought a set of Naills.
Its a sad day for Hardie and for piping. By the way, I am just speculating here. If there are any Hardie players out there I'd like to know what you think.
Being relatively new to piping and piping history I don't have all the facts, but my suspicion is that Hardie once filled a niche in the market that has either dissolved or been overcome by modern pipe manufacturers and new techniques.
Hardie made pipes for the British Military. Perhaps the military no longer needs allot of good, but not great pipes. I fact, it may be that the Military has almost dried up completely as a market for pipes, The Black Watch being disbanded and all).
My teacher once told me that up until 15 years ago it was relatively difficult to find a really good sounding set of pipes. In fact, the best way was to find a good set of well cared for, pre-World War pipes, Henderson being the brand most sought after. I suspect that Hardie made a good set of pipes, and one of the few alternatives to Hendersons when it opened in the 50's. Now there are several good alternatives and Hardie just couldn't hold onto its market. As a personal example, I like the Hardie company, but I bought a set of Naills.
Its a sad day for Hardie and for piping. By the way, I am just speculating here. If there are any Hardie players out there I'd like to know what you think.

1 Comments:
Respectfully suggest research into Muirhead and Sons Pipe Band.
Post a Comment
<< Home