Wednesday, October 05, 2005

PROGRESS



I am still looking into the altitude limitations of the Great Highland Bagpipe and just as I was contemplating all that hiking, climbing, rope and danger, it occurred to me, sort of an "If Mohammad Won't Come to the Mountain" sort of moment. All we need is one of these things, a hyperbaric chamber to simulate elevation gain. No avalanches, No Crevasses, No danger, and home for a nap and a snack.

I have located an source at the Hyperbaric Medicine Unit of Aberdeen Royal Infirmary in Scotland They have a cool hyperbaric chamber and being Scottish and all, they should have a predisposed interest in my study. So, I have taken the liberty of writing them:

Greetings,

I am a piper living in the Pacific Northwest of The United States, near Seattle. On one of many of my hiking trips into the mountains I began to wonder what the altitudinal limits of the Great Highland Bagpipe are. I am wondering if your organization has any data on this subject. THIS IS NOT A JOKE. I AM COMPLETELY SINCERE IN MY INTEREST!. I am also wondering if, in your consideration a hyperbaric chamber would be a reasonable option in order to study the altitude limitations of the instrument in question. Lastly, I of course would be happy to make myself available for any studies that may result from this query. Warmest Regards, Eric A. Evans, Piper

As of yet I have not heard back, but as added insurance I will be contacting NOAA to see if I can borrow one of their hyperbaric chambers just in case. This is fun.

1 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

Excellent inquiry.

But you might want to ask NASA to see if they did any work on bagpipes during to the 60s- and find out whether the pipes work in zero-G.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home