PRACTICING WHEN YOU DON'T WANT TO
I had a very good practice today. Everything sounded generally good, fewer mistakes than normal and my wind was good. I played my Piobaireachd piece and some jigs without stopping. Then I took a break, reviewed some notes and did a set of my older tunes. Everything fell into place. This is not typical. I think most pipers live for their magical practices and performances, few and far between though they are.
My practices vary widely from "really good" to "absolutely horrible". I have had practices when I was tempted to throw my whole kit into the trash and pick up a new instrument, like a tambourine or one of those egg shakers or something. Just when I think I shall always languish in mediocrity, I have another good practice that energizes me again. Here is my tip for the day:
Practice even when you don't want to. Sometimes it is when you are feeling your worst, that you will play your best.
My practices vary widely from "really good" to "absolutely horrible". I have had practices when I was tempted to throw my whole kit into the trash and pick up a new instrument, like a tambourine or one of those egg shakers or something. Just when I think I shall always languish in mediocrity, I have another good practice that energizes me again. Here is my tip for the day:
Practice even when you don't want to. Sometimes it is when you are feeling your worst, that you will play your best.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home