Lost Me Reeds I Did!
Well, the seasoning of the bag went fine except it loosened up the reeds enough so that they were able to work their way loose from their seats in the stocks. I used to get pissed off when I dropped a guitar pick into the sound hole in my guitar. I would have to flip the guitar upside down and shake it violently, trying to work the guitar pick forward to the hole. This is very much like loosing a reed into the bagpipe bag, except NOW MY BAG IS FULL OF FAT!!! Strangely, each of the 3 drone reeds loosened up at about the same time. I would get one re-seated only to find that the next one had fallen in. That one would get re-seated, but the process of pulling all the drones out again would loosen another one. All in all I think each of my very nice Kennard reeds took at least 2 trips through the bag. When one falls into the bag, there is nothing for it but to find the reed by feel and try to squeeze it forward to one of the 5 holes in the bag. The reed comes out all nice and greased up which is preferable in a suppository but not so much in a drone reed. The reeds got all mucked up and now my bagpipes sound horrible. I have cleaned the reeds off pretty well but I am awaiting advice and redemption from my teacher tomorrow. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home