Wednesday, July 28, 2004

PRACTICE AND MORE PRACTICE

I just got done practicing. I managed to play on the pipes for just over 1/2 an hour with only minor breaks. This time of year is tough because, to be nice to the neighbors, I shut all the windows. It is hot.

I am trying Yoda's technique of practicing mostly on the pipes. When I get tired I move to the kitchen pipes and then finish off with the chanter. It seems to work pretty well.

I am currently working on Scotland the Brave and The Rowan Tree, two tunes I will probably end up playing in a massed band and also part of the Keith Highlander's tune list. You can find midi formats of these tunes here:

Scotland the Brave
The Rowan Tree

Today, I played for a bit without my earplugs in. It is amazing how the pipes sound without good earplugs. I don't like to play without my plugs in because my ears quickly start ringing and having played in a punk band, I have already suffered more than my share of ear damage. Still, occasionally it is vital, I think, to hear my pipes unfettered.

Yoda goes off to the World Pipe Band Championships, The Gold Medal at Oban and The Argyllshire Gathering after next week. Next Monday will be my last lesson for a month and a half. I am already suffering withdrawals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home